Key concepts (Creative Arts Today, pages 210-211)
- This final Project of Part 5 deals with yet another function/use/context for textiles: textiles in connection with the human body, either as FASHION (DESIGN) or ART or midway, for instance as craft.
- All textiles have TACTILE, VISUAL, DRAPE, HANDLE, PROTECTIVE and DURABLE QUALITIES that can be put to use in WEARING like in fashion or as EXPRESSION like in art.
Textiles as garments in fashion
- Main qualities/issues/concerns to consider: AESTHETIC – FUNCTIONAL – COST – PRODUCTION CHOICES – ETHICAL – SUSTAINABILITY
- AESTHETIC CONSIDERATIONS: visual and tactile qualities, manipulations needed for wearability/functionality in different contexts of use, for instance evening wear, sportswear, knitwear. Subject to individual judgement.
- FUNCTIONAL CONSIDERATIONS: comfort, durability, protection especially in sportswear, protective clothing, workwear. Less subject to individual judgement.
- Textiles qualities of garments may be mainly analysed in terms of: SILHOUETTE, VOLUME, DRAPE AND MOVEMENT, OPACITY AND TRANSPARENCY, COLOUR, PATTERN/PRINT/DECORATION, TEXTURE.
- These textile qualities are obviously important also in contexts other than fashion such as interior and exterior applications examined in Project 3.