Introductory notes and concepts to Project 4 – TIME AND PLACE
(From Creative Arts Today, pages 126-7)
- Project 4 is about how past, current and future designs interact with one another.
- The here and now drives visual communications and contemporary culture.
- Newness can translate itself in a change of style, a new fashion, or in how communication itself changes and is considered
- Examples: relative newness of social media and use of computers – website renovation through creation of new ‘skin’ on old structure – rejuvenation of old ideas through new technology – online newspapers versus traditional ones
- Cyclical reinvention of well-established ideas and resurgence of styles
- Attention to shifts in consumer behaviour, changing tastes and new ways of communicating